No valid Covid-19 test, no entry into SA, says Home Affairs Minister Motsoaledi
South Africa will not allow any traveller into the country without a valid Covid-19 test.
Home Affairs Minister Aaron Motsoaledi said this Wednesday during a media briefing on immigration matters and border enforcement under the adjusted Covid-19 alert level 3. He outlined the government’s intervention procedures as the country expects a large number of people to return to South Africa between Jan. 2 and Jan. 14.
Motsoaledi said the ministry will deploy an additional 160 officers at the six busiest land ports to process returning travelers by Jan. 14.
- Beitbridge border post with Zimbabwe;
- Lebombo with Mozambique;
- Oshoek with the kingdom of Eswatini;
- Maseru Bridge with Lesotho;
- Ficksburg with Lesotho; and
- Kopfontein with Botswana.
He said an additional 60 Immigration officers will be deployed to assist the SANDF in identified high-risk areas along the border where people tend to enter South Africa illegally.
“The immigration officers and soldiers are not there to stop people from coming to South Africa. They are there to insist that anyone who wants to visit South Africa must use the official gates of entry and present all the necessary documents or they will not be allowed in.”
Motsoaledi said the Department of Health, through its Port Health Unit, will deploy additional officials at all ports of entry to ensure that only travelers with valid Covid 19 tests are allowed into the country.
Those without a test will be tested at the border at their own expense.
“Only truck drivers are exempt from these testing requirements, as was the case at the beginning of the shutdown. All other travelers are warned once again that they will never be allowed into the country unless they can show authentic tests,” Motsoaledi said.
In addition to the Port Health officials who will be on duty, 278 community workers will be on hand.
“The National Health Laboratory Service (NHLS) will recruit private laboratories to provide additional testing support. The South African Military Health Service has been asked to provide 73 additional military health workers to assist with the testing,” he said, adding that there will also be roadblocks, especially in Limpopo, the Free State, Mpumalanga and KwaZulu-Natal.
Motsoaledi also announced that the Kosi Bay border post between KZN and Mozambique, which had been closed since the lockdown began in March, will reopen from January 1.
- Beitbridge , Zimbabwe,
- Lebombo , Mozambique;
- Oshoek ,kingdom of Eswatini;
- Maseru Bridge , Lesotho;
- Ficksburg ,Lesotho,
- Kopfontein with Botswana